Tuesday 17 January 2012

Transportation


For the  most part, we just walk everywhere. The university is about a 15 min walk from our apartments. With the crazy traffic whizzing by it was initially very scary to cross the road. Now, we strut out like pros-avoiding auto-rickshaws, motorcycles, and cars.

                Sometime we take the bus to markets downtown. It is the cheapest and most common way to travel and thus the most crowded. Women sit in the front and men in the back. But we don’t always sit. Usually I find myself standing crushed up against people and trying to hold on to keep from swaying out the open door! Meanwhile the driver is blaring his horn several times a minute and some sort of Hindi music eliminates any chance for conversations!

                My favorite way to travel is by rickshaw because it is the fastest and the most exciting. For some reason, I trust these drivers even as they are swinging out around cars and we are close enough to high five the person in the car next to us! And it’s not too expensive when you squeeze 9 people into the car!

                The only mode of transportation I haven’t tried is motorcycle, although it looks really squished. I’ve seen 5 people on 1 so far and I’m hoping to spot 1 with 6 passengers to top my record!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like traffic is wilder than Nairobi!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it is! looks crazy! (and I like seeing pics of your salwar kamiz)

    ReplyDelete